Immunotherapy (Rovalpituzumab Tesirine: Rova-T SC16L6.5) – Blog 52

blog-52-image

Yesterday we attended the scheduled appointment at the Hospital in Valencia with regards to seeing if Dad would be a suitable candidate to take part in the Clinical Study being carried out on patients with Lung Cancer.

The following website contains more specific details about the treatment Dad would receive if eligible and goes into all the science behind it: http://www.stemcentrx.com/ct-small-cell-lung-cancer.html

Having met with Dr Oscar Juan Vidal (specialist in Oncology & Haematology), Dad did his usual jolly upbeat banter before then being hushed so we could actually hear about what would happen next.

The specific name of the treatment/Clinical Trial is: Rovalpituzumab Tesirine: Rova-T SC16L6.5.

His lung biopsy will be sent to the specialist laboratory in South San Francisco so that it can be analysed and assessed to see if it contains the necessary DELTA 3 Protein (DLL3) that the treatment is designed to work upon. This we have been informed is present in between 60-80% of Lung Cancer patients. Odds therefore are in his favour.

The antibody that has been created by the Clinical Study team is designed to target the DLL3 Protein, enter the tumour and release a potent drug to kill the cells. In turn it is also believed that this targeted method will reduce the impact to the healthy cells. This is especially important at this stage where the administration of a third round of Chemo is being questioned due to the impact on the healthy cells it could harm.

If the DLL3 Protein is not present in Dad’s cancer, then the Immunotherapy treatment will not be possible. Results of testing for the protein will not be known for 10 working days so we expect to know more around the 25th January. If it is a no, then we will attend the pre-scheduled appointment with his usual Oncologist and review what happens next, be this Chemo round 3 or continual monitoring and topping up of his salts etc.

The Clinical Study is still in trial stage so it is difficult to say exactly what impact the Immunotherapy would have on Dad’s cancer. It has been stated however, that results thus far have proved to be promising.

We also know at this stage that should he be eligible, he would only need to attend two treatment sessions. The first would be given more or less straight away and the next 6 weeks later. These would be as a day patient and treatment drugs would be administered intravenously.

There are side effects such as fluid retention, skin rashes etc. though nothing that sounded as worrying as the long list attached to Chemo. There are also associated risks, though the specialist was not prepared to divulge any more detail until the go ahead was given. In essence we need to simply focus on the risk of not having the treatment being worse than the risk of taking part.

The issue we now have is that before Christmas the prognosis was for a survival of ‘weeks’ rather than months; waiting a further two weeks for results feels a little bittersweet.

Dad’s health is up and down like a yoyo and will more than likely he will be back in the hospital for a sodium top-up before the week is out. We also had the home care doctors visit the house today to perform a general check-up and take some blood.

This didn’t quite go to plan with Dad’s veins refusing to give any blood away. The poor doctor left with a minimal amount of the required blood and was crest fallen having stated that this was the first time in 40 years he had failed. This was made worse by the fact that he is the doctor the others go to if they struggle. Blood test results are scheduled for tomorrow morning with the potential for further blood extraction to be attempted if not enough could be analysed.

They have already pre-warned us that Dad could be suffering from Anaemia which would require hospitalisation. This doesn’t even take into consideration the ever falling sodium levels.

Dad himself is doing okay, all things considered, but emotionally the realisation of what is happening to him is kicking in. Whilst he still has the ‘I will beat this’ bravado, it is clear to see he also has the look of concern and anguish as to what may be coming. The thing annoying him the most is his loss of appetite. He barely feels like eating anymore and when he does it’s just a couple of mouthfuls. The main thing for any of those concerned though….. he is still eating and enjoying Bovril, even with his scrambled egg!

I will keep you posted re the Anaemia should there be any concerns, else will update later in the month once we know more from the results from San Francisco. Dad had hoped he may get a free holiday to America out of this.

Unfortunately, this won’t be happening.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s